Monday, August 13, 2012

The First Job

So here's a milestone I thought would never come. My first day back to school - as a teacher rather than as a student. Four years of college dragged by, and then a long drought of a summer that proved unlucky for music teachers. Interview after interview, I thought "Could this be my job? Could this be what I've waited for all this time?" Until finally, 2 weeks before school starts and I'd given up hope. I signed up to be a substitute in 3 counties and submitted myself to 4 hours of training on dress, behavior, and employee benefits. Little did I know that none of it would matter in a few short hours.
I accepted my first teaching position at a charter school in Charleston, SC, just a few hours after a tip from a fellow sub led me to Craigslist and eventually an interview, which in turn led to my first offer. I will be teaching general music and show choir to a school full of high achieving students from around the county. I have a week and a half to plan a curriculum, gather materials, get myself acquainted with my new classroom, the cafeteria, and figure out how to teach choir with my paltry piano skills. I hope to chart my adventures, frustrations, triumphs and not a few funny moments in my quest to become a second-year music teacher. Wish me luck, grant me wisdom, and share your advice. Lord knows I'll need all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment