Saturday, September 1, 2012

The First Week (and day off)

The first full week ended yesterday, just in time for the Labor Day weekend. It was a rough one for me, to be sure. After a mix-up with some medication that got progressively worse, I stayed home Wednesday and left my new classroom in the hands of a capable substitute. I also celebrated a birthday on Thursday, despite illness and scheduling difficulties. Dealing with life and teaching simultaneously has been a major transition so far, and something tells me it isn't going anywhere soon. As for the classroom, I had 2 walkouts, 5+ detentions, my first student artwork, and plenty of attitude adjustments, including my own. Thursday was particularly nice, probably because my students and I missed each other, and we were able to get into a nice groove with show choir and work on music, real music, right until the bell. It's so refreshing to have a real rehearsal where everyone works hard and the group accomplishes a goal. Now to capture that in every class...

I have to admit, I had been told how hard this year would be. I prepared for it as best I could and I'm trying to follow all the advice I got when I knew enough to know that I would need it some day, along with all of the advice I'm getting now. Still, becoming a teacher is a life-altering process that, like any major life transition, has its growing pains and rewards along the way. It is a truly unique experience that exposes all the character of a person, right down to your bones, the good, bad, and the ugly. It can actually be quite refreshing to know exactly where you stand.

I have already learned so much in the short time I've been here, and I look forward to the lessons to come. Being an adult is not as much fun as being a college student, but it certainly isn't boring. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment