Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The First Good Week

Finally, something good to post. :) I've been having a good week so far, and a lot of it has to do with my fabulous students. Choir is finally starting to feel like choir; my high schoolers are learning what it means to hold one another accountable in a performing ensemble, and how to work together as a team. Besides some growing pains, I'm excited to see them coming together and finally having that "choir identity." I've also seen an improvement with my middle schoolers, perhaps because progress reports went home last week and they're looking to boost their grades as the end of the quarter looms. I can't believe it's already been almost 7 weeks; it feels like we just started yesterday. At the same time, I'm glad to finally start to feel comfortable at and around my school. Being without a classroom or office of my own has been difficult (and it makes my back hurt), but I'm starting to get into a rhythm with organization and schedule that has really helped. Also, everyone has been so understanding and helpful, from faculty and staff to students and administration, and parents too! I feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of things, but with that comes the feeling of more responsibility to provide my students with the opportunities they need to be successful musically and in life. It hasn't been easy, and it won't be easy, but at least I'm approaching normal. Finally. Part of that normal comes from having a personal schedule that I can stick to, which is not something I did before I started teaching, and has always caused me some deal of stress. I'm a social creature by nature, and it's hard to find even one other person who is as awake at 6 AM as I am. Exercise usually helps, but I'm terrible at setting a schedule for myself and then sticking to it. I've been getting better at that this week, and I've really tried to pay attention to what my body is telling me about sleep and food and exercise and to respond appropriately. That sometimes means that the school work I'd planned doesn't get done, that parents don't get emailed or called, and that work isn't handed back in a timely fashion. I consider it water under the bridge if I can keep myself well enough to keep coming to school and being a support and help to my students, and if it keeps me sane. :) I'm glad tomorrow is Thursday, and I'm glad to finally feel like I'm getting into a groove.

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be taking my first field trip (!). I hope to post about that afterwards and tell all of my great adventures with students, parents, buses, tickets and lunches. For now, I'm going to email a reminder to turn in permission slips and money and watch the Presidential debate. As always, suggestions (especially curriculum/lessons), comments, and encouragement are welcome! Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment