Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The First Moment of Revelation (of many)

There comes a time, I am told, in most first years of teaching, when you suddenly realize something very fundamental about yourself, your subject, your students, and this whole concept of being a teacher: You're in way over your head. That was my revelation this week. Following said revelation, there was much trembling of fear and gnashing of teeth, and then, laughter. It now seems positively absurd that I, in my complete denial, could imagine that I had the ability and means to take on this herculean task. There aren't enough hours in the day to do my job, much less to learn how.

--I wrote this blurb as the beginning of a blog post a few weeks ago. It still rings true; I hate the condition of not knowing what I'm doing or how to do it well, but I recognize this week that it is just the way things are and I have come to accept that doing the best I can will have to do for right now. My students are the most important part of my day, and they are there every day. Past that, taking care of myself is important and making progress is what I look forward to and the rest of it is gravy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment